Trading tools, tested and written up by the people who actually use them.

Alertsify

SPY’s Second Down Day, PPI Tomorrow

SPY closed at $762.40 today, down 0.46% from yesterday’s $765.96. That’s the second red close in a row — Friday’s $770.19 is now two sessions and about $7.79 back in the rearview. QQQ held up better, down 0.29% to $716.31, basically drifting instead of falling.

I want to be straight about what this is and isn’t. Two down days with no single violent move is not a selloff. It’s a market taking small steps back while it waits for something. Tomorrow that something is PPI — Core PPI m/m forecast at 0.3% against last month’s 0.2%, headline PPI m/m forecast at 0.4% against 0.0%, and jobless claims at 205K expected versus 206K prior. All at 8:30am ET. None of that has printed yet. I don’t know the number and neither does anyone posting confident takes about it tonight.

What today’s range actually tells you

SPY’s low was $760.94, the high was $764.47. Call it a $3.53 range on a day that opened at $764.08 and closed at $762.40. That’s a tight, orderly session. When realized vol stays compressed like this heading into a data print, it usually means one of two things: either the market has already priced in a boring number, or it’s coiled and waiting to move on whatever actually comes out tomorrow morning.

The options market doesn’t care which one it is until it has to. Implied vol on SPY options expiring around tomorrow’s print will carry a premium over what today’s realized vol suggests, because the market has to pay for the possibility of a surprise even when the base case looks calm. That gap between implied and realized is the vol risk premium, and it’s exactly what you’re buying or selling when you hold options through an event like this.

If you’re long premium into PPI, you’re betting the actual move exceeds what’s priced in. If you’re short premium, you’re betting on exactly the kind of grind we saw today continuing tomorrow. Neither bet is free. The premium exists because somebody has to be compensated for carrying the tail risk overnight.

Why PPI is the appetizer, not the meal

Here’s the part that actually matters for how you size tomorrow: PPI is a real data point, not noise, but it’s also not the big one this week. Friday is CPI. That’s the print that tends to move the index more, get more headline attention, and pull in more hedging flow ahead of it. PPI often acts as the market’s dress rehearsal — traders and dealers use it to sanity-check positioning before CPI, without necessarily committing full size.

That framing changes how I think about holding options through tomorrow’s 8:30am print. A genuine, real economic release deserves respect. It is not a coin flip you should treat as background noise just because a bigger one is coming two days later. But it’s also not the print I’d want to be maximally levered into, because the dealer positioning and hedging flow that tends to amplify moves around data days is more likely to be saved for Friday.

Position sizing into a secondary data day

My own rule, six years in: size scales with how much the print can actually move the underlying relative to what I’m risking, not with how interesting the print sounds on a headline scroll. A jobless claims number landing a few thousand off consensus rarely does much on its own. PPI missing meaningfully in either direction can move SPY more than today’s entire $3.53 range, but it usually needs a real surprise to do it, not a rounding-error beat.

Year one I would have sized tomorrow’s trade off adrenaline. Two red closes in a row feels like momentum when you’re staring at a chart at 9pm, and a data print the next morning feels like the moment to press. I lost $11,400 that year partly because every day with a headline attached felt like it deserved max size. It didn’t. Most days with a scheduled print attached to them are just Tuesday with extra noise.

What changed by year three wasn’t that I got better at guessing PPI. It’s that I stopped needing to guess it at all before deciding how much to risk. The question isn’t “will PPI come in hot.” The question is “what’s the worst realistic move this print produces, and can my position survive that move without needing to be right about direction.” If the answer is no, the position is too big regardless of what I think is going to happen at 8:30am tomorrow.

Reading the QQQ divergence

One thing worth sitting with: QQQ’s 0.29% decline today is smaller than SPY’s 0.46%, and QQQ was basically flat yesterday at negative 0.08%. If this were a broad risk-off move ahead of a big print, you’d expect the more rate-sensitive, higher-duration names in QQQ to lead the selling, not lag it. Instead SPY is underperforming on both of the last two sessions. That’s a detail, not a signal to trade on by itself, but it tells me the pullback isn’t obviously being driven by growth-scare positioning ahead of PPI. It reads more like broad index rebalancing or a handful of large-cap names dragging the S&P specifically.

That distinction matters for how you think about correlation risk if you’re holding options across both. A move driven by a genuine macro surprise tomorrow morning tends to hit SPY and QQQ together, hard, regardless of what led into it. A move driven by sector-specific rotation inside the S&P doesn’t necessarily transfer the same way to Nasdaq-heavy exposure. Don’t assume your SPY hedge automatically covers your QQQ position just because they usually move together — check whether today’s divergence is still there in the futures before you lean on that assumption tomorrow.

So going into tomorrow, I’m not adding size I wouldn’t be comfortable holding through a print that comes in hot or cold. Two down days without panic tells me the market isn’t demanding compensation for tail risk yet — the options aren’t screaming that something’s about to break. That can change fast at 8:30am, and it can change again Friday when CPI actually shows up. Whatever you’re holding into tomorrow should be sized for the number you don’t know yet, not the range you already saw today.

What I’m actually doing tonight

Concretely: I’m not closing everything ahead of PPI, and I’m not loading up on it either. Positions that were sized to survive a normal data-day move stay on. Anything that only works if tomorrow is quiet gets trimmed, because a print with a wider gap between consensus and prior — and 0.4% versus 0.0% on headline PPI is a real gap — has more room to surprise than usual. I’d rather give up some theta tonight than find out at 8:31am tomorrow that my size assumed a calmer number than the one that’s actually possible.

Alertsify runs the auto-execution layer for exactly this — you’re not staring at a clock at 8:29am deciding what to do with size you shouldn’t have taken in the first place. The system holds you to the size and the levels decided before the print, not after you’ve already reacted to it. That’s the whole value of it: the decision gets made when you’re calm, not when the number is flashing red or green on your screen.


Curious how mirroring works on a real account? The 7-day free trial connects your account so you can check the fills yourself.

Start the 7-day free trial →

Disclosure: that’s an affiliate link — I may earn a commission if you sign up for a paid plan, at no extra cost to you. There’s a free trial if you want to look around first.

Full risk disclosure


Related reading